This Cola Barbecue Sauce was found on Food Network Kitchens Get Grilling, Meredith 2005. It was so good that it was necessary for us to share it with you.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a generous pinch for the garlic
- 3 cups cola
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 slightly heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus additional for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, plus additional for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear mixture to a coarse paste. Stir garlic paste, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, cola, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, chili powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, and allspice together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, stir in the lime juice, and season with black pepper and hot sauce, to taste.