When your daughter asks for meatballs as her birthday dinner you make her the best damn meatballs on the planet!
We are happy to share that recipe with you today.
Ingredients: (Makes about 25 meatballs)
• 2 lb Ground Sirloin 85% lean (Premium ground meat)
• 1 lb Ground Pork (Premium ground meat)
• 1 lb Ground Veal (Premium ground meat)
• 1 1/2 cups Pecorino Romano Cheese
• 3 Eggs
• 1/2 loaf diced day old Italian bread (non seeded)
• 1/2 cup whole milk
• 1 cup seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs (you may add more depending on moisture)
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 1 sweet onion minced
• 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley chopped
• 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (save a little extra for after)
• salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
• Double recipe of #steaknightmagazine sauce (YES SAUCE NOT GRAVY :-))
This recipe could not be easier. To be sure that everything is perfect take your time mincing your garlic, onions, parsley and basil. You want everything cut even and small, no big peices Also be sure that your stale bread cubes are cut to about 1/4 in.
Add 1/2 cup of whole milk into bread cubes, toss till combined. It should not be soggy. Then, take all ingredients and combine with your hands in a large mixing bowl. Be sure everything is incorporated evenly. The mixture should be a little wet but should hold together on its own. If it’s to wet add a little more bread crumb. To dry add a little of your prepared tomato sauce.
Once mixed, Prepare two 9 x 12 baking pans with a little olive oil. Roll meat mixture into balls slightly larger than a golf ball. You can make them any size you would like just be sure that they all stay consistent to assure for even cooking.
Place rolled meatballs on your baking pans allowing some room, as 1/2 through cooking you will need to turn. Drizzle olive oil over top of your rolled meatballs once they are on your pan.
Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 mins. Turn each of your meatballs and place back in the oven for an additional 15 mins. They should be light golden brown in color. Be sure not to over cook them.
At this point the meatballs are done. However, to bring them to the next level carefully drop your meatballs into your low simmering sauce for 35 to 40 mins.
There is not much to it, the best recipes are the ones kept simple. Use fresh ingredients and you can’t go wrong.